Myths and Misconceptions about Medical Marijuana
People who forget history are doomed to repeat it. That’s an old saying, and whether it’s true or not in all cases is debatable. But we’re currently in the middle of another cannabis revolution. Slowly but surely the plant—which you could purchase legally in U.S. pharmacies as legitimate medicine as early as the 1930’s is now reaching its way back into a positive light after years of being classified as a dangerous influence. Medical Cannabis is now available in Boca Raton and state by state we are joining the long list of countries who are embracing its healing powers and recognizing vast benefits beyond just its pain management capabilities.
Medical Cannabis in Boca Raton has had a misunderstood past, tainted by racism, political administration, misrepresentation and ignorance of its true risks and benefits. And despite the fact that cannabis is still on the list of Schedule 1 substances, except for 2 that the FDA has approved, a favorable perception of medical marijuana for pain management and other conditions is growing rapidly.
Fortunately the tides are turning but there are still a lot of myths and misconceptions surrounding cannabis that you should ideally schedule a consultation with Dr. Maldonado to clear up any confusion with.
Let’s take a look at some of them here:
Myths and Misconceptions about Medical Marijuana:
- The only way to use cannabis is to smoke it – When it comes to cannabis, joints and bongs represent only a small percentage of the ways you can consume it. The delivery method rising in popularity most rapidly is the sublingual oil. These products are made by extracting the cannabinoids and terpenes from cannabis and then diluting it in a healthy oil like MCT oil or olive oil.
- All the benefits of cannabis come from THC – THC is the chemical compound that’s responsible for the intoxicating effects of cannabis. But it is by far the only one! There are over 100 known cannabinoids, and one in particular, cannabidiol (CBD), is getting a ton of notoriety. Your CBD doctor can tell you that CBD is non-psychoactive and that means it won’t get you stoned, but it has a ton of health benefits that range from fighting chronic inflammation and easing anxiety to taming drug-resistant seizures from epilepsy and pain from arthritis.
- You must get stoned to get the benefits of cannabis – Because Cannabis plants are extremely diverse in range and can contain high amounts of THC to high amounts of CBD. That means it doesn’t mean you have to be ‘stoned’ to get the benefits from them. There are plenty of non-psychoactive products out there which your Cannabis doctor in Boca Raton can recommend to give you the right relief for your symptoms without negative side effects.
- Marijuana hasn’t been studied enough – Legal and political hurdles is what has kept medical marijuana from being studied to its fullest potential.
Despite this, we still know a lot about cannabis, how it works in the body, and what conditions it helps with. In large part due to other countries—most notably Israel and Brazil—who have continuously moved forward on cannabis research. Thanks to them, we know all about cannabinoids, the receptors they react with in the body, and the endocannabinoid system (ECS) which is the larger regulatory system in the body that is affected by THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids, and the health of this system has been connected to everything from anxiety and depression issues to gut health to migraines and chronic pain.
5) Doctors don’t support cannabis legalization – This is far from the truth. Everyday more and more doctors are turning to cannabis to help their patients find relief from their symptoms. In fact, entire research institutions and medical groups are calling for more research and the legalization of cannabis. In 2013, Sanjay Gupta released a documentary titled WEED to voice his support of medical marijuana. The AMA is also calling for more research on cannabis therapies as well.
Contact Dr. Maldonado for medical cannabis in Boca Raton for treatment of all your qualifying conditions.