There are many diseases which can get an individual approved for treatment with medical marijuana in Florida. It has been quite a fight to have marijuana legalized, in spite of a wide range of health benefits to people suffering from many different conditions. There is ample evidence that the fight needs to continue so that medical cannabis can be used as a type of sports medicine. The most important reason this change needs to take place is that it could offset the rampant opioid use among current and past players in the National Football League (NFL). A common outcome of being involved in the professional sport is chronic pain, often throughout a person’s lifetime. Marijuana provides a safer, sensible solution; but cannabis is still a banned substance in the NFL and all of professional sports. Anyone with sports-related pain, however, might benefit greatly from treatment with medical marijuana.
Benefits of Marijuana in Professional Sports
Even in states where marijuana has been legalized for recreational use, professional athletes are still banned from using it for pain management. They can, however, legally take prescription painkillers, which open the door for opioid addiction. Diverting athletes from the use of addictive painkillers is one of many potential benefits of allowing for treatment with medical cannabis. There are many ways in which marijuana provides relief for individuals in professional sports, including the following:
- Marijuana is an effective analgesic that eases pain during and after exercise. Professional athletes constantly deal with the pain of leg soreness and achy, painful muscles.
- The THC and CBD in marijuana help athletes because these properties in cannabis have powerful anti-inflammatory components.
- The decrease in inflammation from CBD helps to protect the brain, lungs, and heart before and after surgery. Researchers continue with ongoing studies on CBD and the effects of using it as a possible treatment for sports concussions.
- Athletes need to get plenty of sleep at night, during which time muscles grow and recover. The cannabinoids in marijuana with adequate concentrations of CBN are effective in the treatment of insomnia.
- Athletes frequently suffer from muscle spasms as a result of nerve or spinal cord damage, muscle strain, trauma, or dehydration. Medical marijuana has antispasmodic components that can help to reduce painful muscle spasms.
- Extensive research reveals that smoking marijuana the traditional way can actually improve lung function over time. The 20-year-study indicates that smoking one marijuana joint per week for 20 years or one joint per day for 7 years causes no negative effects on the function of the lungs.
In extreme sports like football, head injuries are common among players. Repetitive blows to the heat can result in chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Symptoms of CTE include:
- Mood changes
- Behavior changes
- Difficulty thinking
- Memory problems
- Overall malaise
There are therapeutic benefits in CBD that can ease pain and relax the central nervous system. THC can help with moodiness and irritability because of its mood-altering qualities.
Get in on Benefits of Medical Marijuana
If you live in Florida and find that you have questions or a condition which qualifies for medical marijuana treatment, contact the offices of Edwin W. Maldonado, MD, by calling 561-578-4582. Some conditions which share the same symptoms as common sports injuries are approved for treatment with medical cannabis.