Health Conditions that Qualify for Medical Marijuana in Florida
Medical marijuana is only legal in Florida when used for medical purposes and obtained according to state guidelines. The health conditions shown below all qualify for the use of medical marijuana. Those with an asterisk were added by an amendment as of January 3, 2017, so that all are now legally treated with cannabis. If you have any of the following medical conditions, you can lawfully obtain medical marijuana in Florida:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)*
- Back pain
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Chronic pain, when severe
- Crohn’s Disease
- Cyclical vomiting syndrome
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lyme disease
- Muscle spasms
- Muscular dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis*
- Nausea, when severe
- Other debilitating conditions of like, kind, or class
- Parkinson’s Disease*
- Post-traumatic stress disorder*
- Terminal conditions of any kind
Qualifications for Recommendation of Medical Marijuana Treatment
The following are the basics, as far as qualifications to get a physician’s recommendation for medical marijuana in Florida:
- Only permanent residents of the state of Florida can obtain medical marijuana. Evidence of residency may be required.
- It is necessary to establish and maintain a relationship with a physician who has been registered in Florida a minimum of 90 days.
- You must either be 18 years old or older or provide a physician’s consent form.
How to Obtain a Recommendation for Medical Marijuana
The following is the complete list of necessary steps to obtain a recommendation for medical marijuana:
- Locate a physician with above-referenced qualifications. Then make an appointment to visit the doctor for an evaluation and in-person exam.
- Provide your new physician with your medical history by requesting records from doctors’ offices. This could save a great deal of time that you may otherwise need to spend answering numerous questions.
- Sign a consent form for the use of marijuana for medicinal treatments or have your parent or legal guardian sign, as needed.
- Continue required appointments with your new physician for 90 days, after which you can obtain a recommendation for medical marijuana treatments, as long as you have a qualifying condition.
- Your doctor will register you with the Compassionate Use Registry. In addition, you will be assigned a Patient Registry ID Number.
- You will be given access to the medical marijuana product approved for the condition you have been diagnosed with. Low-THC cannabis and medical cannabis are types of cannabis products.
The recommendation expires in 45 days, after which your physician can renew your recommendation for medical marijuana treatment. It is at your physician’s discretion, whether or not an office visit is required for renewal.
Cannbis+ MD has convenient locations in Jupiter, Wellington, Delray Beach and Margate to serve you. Contact them today at 561-578-4582.